It’s already October and everyone starts to decorate their homes for Halloween celebration. It is very common to see all kinds of decorations such as ghosts, witches, and pumpkins, but have you noticed some houses decorated with teal pumpkins?
Well yes, we know that teal color is fashionable lately but perhaps you have heard of “The Teal Pumpkin Project”? Haven’t an idea of what it is about? Do not worry, here we will explain and tell you how you can be part of it.
The Teal Pumpkin Project purpose is to raise awareness among people about allergies caused by food and to promote the inclusion of all children during the celebration of Halloween.
All children should be able to live and enjoy the experience of going out trick or treating during Halloween night, however food allergies are increasingly common and stop kids enjoying the fun since candies are out of reach.
That’s why Food Allergy Research and Education, has created the Teal Pumpkin Project to ensure that all children on Halloween night come back home with something they can enjoy.
In this case, it is small toys as an alternative to candies and sweets.
We as a community can contribute our bit to this cause. Just last year, people from all 50 states and 14 other countries participated making this a global movement.
The goal for this 2016 it is to have at least one house on every block of the United States that has a teal pumpkin on its front porch.
How can you participate and contribute?
- Prepare gifts for children who visit your house on Halloween night. Remember that these treats can not be candy or food.
- Place a teal pumpkin in front of your house to tell passersby that your house offers non-edible treats.
- Place a poster or sign that indicates the meaning of your teal pumpkin. In the following link, you find all the necessary resources.
- If you can, make a donation to the project and receive a free gift.
- http://www.foodallergy.org/teal-pumpkin-project/fever- map # .WAbfAVc9ZU4 enter
- This site and register your address and interact with others who are close to you that also part of the project
What gifts can I give?
- Pencils, crayons, markers
- Bracelets, necklaces, rings
- Glow sticks
- Vampire fangs
- Spiders toy
- Game Cards
You can get all these things at the dollar store and they will make happy many children that can’t have a sweet treat.
Now they could be able to go out trick or treating without worrying about food allergies.
Spread the Word
Another way to contribute to the Teal Project Pumpkin is by spreading the voice. Add your address to the official map of the project, print some flyers and distribute them among neighbors.
If you like social networking, use the hashtag #tealpumpkinproject and help spread the word.
You can also enter the contest with your teal pumpkin and perhaps even win a prize!